-Happy Birthday Mom!
Its my mom’s birthday, and needless to say I have a pretty awesome mom. I got to speak with her not too long ago and as always it was wonderful. At risk of sounding cliché, I really do think I have the greatest mom in the world. Thank you so much for being there for me all those years.
-Driving me to all of those sports practices as I seemed to change my mind about which sport I wanted to play
-Spending entire weekends inside of stuffy old high school gyms watching me wrestle for just a few short minutes
-Dealing with being the only girl in a house full of boys
-Putting up with Sam and Grant (sorry just had to throw that in there:)
-Listening to me go on and on about whatever topic I chose at our kitchen table long after the rest of the family had gone off to watch TV
-Cooking spaghetti for hours on end for our pre-race cross country dinners
-Going to the Varsity every Mother’s Day
-Standing there listening as Grant, Sam and I argued yelling, “Your mom…” jokes, occasionally inserting a “Thanks guys…”
-Allowing all three of us to live in the wake of “The Infamous Water Battle”
-I think the picture below shows about everything we need to know:
-------
We actually started classes this past week! The first two days we were not able to teach as they had to register all of the students and then sort them into classes. Wednesday however was a rather interesting day. It was my first day in the classroom, with our new Form 1 students. There is a lot of work to be done as many of them hardly know any English and I have spent the first couple of days teaching them how to read equations.
That afternoon I was riding my bike up to Vumawimbi Beach to relax and read for the afternoon. Shortly before getting there I came across a middle aged white man who was walking next to his bike clearly in need of help. As I slowed down to ask him what he needed he explained how he had ridden up from Chake Chake that morning (a several hour ride), had 3 flat tires and was lost trying to find Swahili Divers. I told him that he had missed the turn off a couple hundred yards back and then still had about a kilometer to go. After trying to explain the directions I decided this would be a great excuse for me to stop by there and hang out there for the afternoon. We talked a bunch on the way and for the rest of the afternoon. It turns out that he is a British glass blower, whose wife had forced him to take a couple of weeks off so he is travelling around Zanzibar on his bike.
After spending the afternoon with my new friend I returned home to find that my water wasn’t working. At first I did not think much of it as the water cuts out all the time, but then I noticed the nozzle wasn’t straight. I tried to fix it and found out that it was just feely spinning and could slide in and out of my courtyard wall. I then went around to the outside to discover that both pipes coming into my house had been cleanly cut, and had a stopper plug in the ground side. The next morning I informed my headmaster of what had happened. Within an hour he had the repairman from the water company at the school discussing what was going on. The repairman said the water bills had not been paid. This resulted in a somewhat heated argument most of which I did not understand, but basically it is a school house and no bill was ever sent to the school and no notice of any problem was sent. By noon the repairman was over at my house and had reconnected both water pipes. I would particularly like to thank Headmaster Mohammed, Assistant Headmaster Rashid, and Mr. Saleh for helping me out with this and getting everything taken care of so quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment