Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Computya Yangu Imekufa


-my computer died

I know I am late on posting a blog, but I had actually typed up most of my next blog entry to post up. It was about how I have now decorated the walls of my house. I was all excited to put up my new blog post, and I know you all were eagerly anticipating me hitting the post button. So on Monday I turned on my computer to put the final touches on my post, only to be welcomed by a black screen (black screen of death?) with white text saying something along the lines of, “Cannot find operating system.” Unfortunately computer support is not the best around here so at the moment I am not sure what I am going to do, but any suggestions are welcome.  I will have to rewrite and post up my entry on my decorating sometime later.


Today I had a visit from a Canadian teacher who is currently working in Turkey. He is here on the island visiting a friend and was interested in what the teaching situation here is like. He arrived mid schoolday, and was surprised to find out that our classes are an hour and 20 minutes long. I told him that I completely agree and that I often have problems paying attention that long. He kindly brought several notebooks for me to give out to some students as I saw fit which worked out well since I had given the students an assignment to do the day before and could give them to the students who got all the answers correct. The students who received them were so excited, as were even the other students who did not. After this I had a couple left over, so I decided to pose a challenge question: How many minutes are in one year? While I knew this off the top of my head, since most people here have not seen or heard the soundtrack to Rent, it took them quite a while. Eventually though I had two students who were able to figure it out!  …how do you measure a year in the life?

No comments:

Post a Comment