| Me "Doing something cool" |
I will be leaving for Philadelphia early tomorrow morning. After arriving at the airport I’ll meet up with a couple of other volunteers to head over to our meeting hotel. It should be interesting trying to find them since I managed to kill my phone a yesterday (apparently rolling over a kayak with all your things in it is not a good idea, sorry Brooke!) That afternoon we’ll go through orientations and have several meetings and hopefully get to bed early. At 2:30am we are boarding a greyhound bus to head to JFK Airport in New York. I have no clue why we are going to Philadelphia to then fly out of New York but we’ll just go along with it. From here we will fly over as a group through Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and spend the first 6 days there. On June 12th we will head out to Morogoro where we will meet our host families who we will be spending our first 9 weeks learning job skills, cultural and safety concerns, and most excitingly Swahili! At the moment my Swahili knowledge consist of Simba (lion), Rafiki (friend), and Hakuna Matata (no worries) thanks to the Lion King, but hopefully I will learn enough by the end of training to survive.
So what do you pack for two years? I just finished packing and here is a list of what I think is in my bag
Clothes
-4 pairs of long dress pants
-4 long and 1 short sleeve button down shirts
-1 polo shirt
-8 pairs of socks
-8 pair of underwear
-3 dri-fit shirts
-1 Arsenal soccer jersey (Im really hoping this comes to use)
-1 pair of athletic pants
-1 blazer jacket
-1 tie
-2 pair of athletic shorts
-Brown loafers
-FiveTen trail shoes
-GT visor and Chervo hat
-Rain/Wind Jacket
Toiletries and House Items
-Deoderant
-2 toothbrushes
-Toothpaste
-Floss
-Random medicines my mom is making me take (Love You!)
-Sunscreen
-2 pair of glasses and 1 pair of sunglasses
-2 rolls of duct tape (1 grey and 1 orange psychedelic [thanks Taylor!])
-2 camping utensil sets
-2 towels
-Thermarest travel pillow
-Gerber knife
-3 water bottles
Electronics and Entertainment
-Computer (obviously not packed yet)
-Ipod
-Headphones
-Power converter
-Camera
-Headlamp
-Flashlight
-3 frisbees (2 regular and 1 aerobie)
-Cards
-Notebooks and pens
-3 balls to play with
-Photo album
But who knows what’s actually in there! Looking forward to this adventure! Now time for some sleep!
I like how the names for who went to the Red are in alphabetical order.
ReplyDeleteI like the caption for the picture.
And that photo album better be in your bag, otherwise I should have kept it, cuz it makes me really happy:)
Bye JackJack :),
ReplyDeleteI miss u allready! Have fun in Tanzinia when u come back in 2.5 years u have to say something to us in swahili. i think its funny that u brought 3 frisbees and only 2 toothrushes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you bring your twisty shoes??? practice isnt as fun without you!!!!!! C U in 2.5 years
Ahhh yay! I can comment!! :) I like Halley's comment. I'm saying it because you don't have a convenient button on your blog. I think you need more polo shirts. And I also like the caption on the picture because it kind of became the Red phrase for the trip. haha Did you bring warm enough socks?
ReplyDeleteSo I just realized that responding to these by email a couple of weeks ago didnt work. So:
ReplyDeleteHaha thanks Tess! Bye! I miss you guys too! Im sure that I will know plenty of Kiswahili by then. I can already give it a try if there is something in particular that you want to know. So funny thing about the toothbrushes...(read my newest blog entry) I mean you would use the frisbee more often right? I did not bring my twisty shoes but i did bring my 5.10 trailshoes and my team shirt! How is practice going? Thanks but im sure you guys will manage just fine!
-JackJack
Halley,
ReplyDelete1) that might or might not have maybe possibly been on purpose
2) it was soooo cool!
3) okay so dont hate me! It made me so incredibly beyond happy but it just wasnt that practical for me to carry such a heavy book along with me when I was only allowed to bring a limited amount. So I took pictures of everypage and saved them on my computer. Then I took out several of my favorite pictures and put them in my photo album. So I still have all the awesomeness at a fraction of the weight and size.
Alexadra,
ReplyDeleteYeah Ill talk to my people (since I totally have those) about getting a like button installed. Yeah I didnt realize that polos counted as part of the dress code, so my mom is actually sending some more :) Trust me for now i dont need warm socks. It is the "cold season" here and the lows are around 75 degrees. Oh and about "do something cool" look early on in my Mikumi album to see what happened when I told one of my friends Hannah to "do something cool"