-sports and games
This past week we were invited to play in a teachers vs. students soccer
game. We were all looking forward to getting the chance to run around, not have
to wear dress clothes, and just have fun with the students. I was horrified when
I arrived at the teachers conference room and found out that the our team would
have to wear Chelsea jerseys! I mean this is like a Red Sox fan having to wear a
Yankees hat! I was not at all happy about it, but was forced to in order to be
allowed to play. After having been told that I was going to play keeper (the
actual position I had played before) I was told about 5 min before the game
started that instead I was going to play striker (you know the complete opposite
of keeper, and a position that I had never played in my life). Then right before
kickoff I was told to play number 9. Number 9? That is not even a real position.
Positions have names not numbers. But the coach told me it was right midfield,
so I went over to that part of the field only to find a teammate standing there.
In broken Swahili I asked him what position he was and he told me number 7. Now
I was incredibly confused, but just decided to wait until we started playing and
see where the gap in the field was. It turns out that I played right striker,
well until a substitute came on and started playing as a right striker. There
seemed to now be gaps at right midfield and right center back, so I ended up
playing some sort of hybrid position. I was so confused which seems to be a
fairly accurate representation of my time here. The game was a lot of fun, even
though we ended up losing 2-0. I had one time that I thought I had scored only
to have a teammate who was not involved in the play called offsides. Oh also I
fall alot.
Even more fun though has been teaching our language trainer the Great
American Pastime (or at least something that vaguely resembles it). A couple of
weeks ago I had noticed him wearing a Yankees belt. Being someone not from New
York I was obviously not happy about this and asked him about it. He had
absolutely no idea what it was. He just thought it was a cool looking belt. So
this past week we decided it was about time to educate our trainer in American
culture and teach him what baseball is. Obviously there are not baseballs and
bats just sitting around everywhere so we had to make due with a stressball and
broomstick. So we lined up in the inner courtyard of the school and had people
lined up with a batter, a pitcher, and a person standing about where each base
should have been. We let him bat first and after missing a couple of times he
finally made contact! We then had to yell at him to start running, and he took
off towards the first baseman. However I think he was technically out. As the
next person came up to bat we told him to line up as one of the fielders. When
they hit the ball, he started running to the next base. We tried explaining to
him that he was a fielder and thus was not supposed to run from base to base,
but as more people came up to bat and he started running around everytime
someone hit the ball, we just decided to let him go. The game quickly became
some sort of game that very vaguely represented baseball. You actually weren’t
safe on bases, you could be pegged out, fielders were allowed to block the
runner, and if someone tried to peg you you were allowed to hit the ball away
with the bat if you were for some reason still carrying it. All in all, Im not
sure how much we actually taught him about baseball but we all had a great time,
and he is excited about getting to play again sometime.
-------
Sadly the stressball got lost :( Our language trainer was worried that it was
a really nice ball and kept on asking me how much it cost. Do you buy
stressballs? I thought you just got them as handouts at career fairs. But
seriously stressballs are awesome here!
I got to go on a hike today with 7 other volunteers and a couple of
Tanzanians. We ventured along a stream up the mountain towards the peak without
any actual ambitions of reaching it. It was a lot of fun rock hopping around the
river and even getting to do some climbing. I enjoy any opportunity that we have
to actually get out and exercise. (More pictures on Facebook)
My mama went to Dar this week, and one night after dinner I was in my room
studying when I heard a knock on my door. It was my bibi (grandmother) telling
me that I didnt drink water with dinner and needed to come get some. I said that
I was fine and didnt need any but she would not accept that. She made me come
out and drink a glass as she watched me! I have rarely seem anyone else in my
family drink water, while I regularly drink several litres and im the one she is
making drink a glass. Basically Tanzanians think we are amphibians.
Mis Tres Hermanas Update (Spanish Soap Opera dubbed over in english of
course): It turns out that Dr Contraras is actually the father of Augusto,
Lisa, Beatrice, and Silvia that they thought had died 15 years earlier! And even
more shocking it turns out that Santiago (Lisa’s husband) is in fact the father
of Margarita's (Augusto’s wife) baby!
This week for our last week of internship teaching, we’ll be working on
approximations and rounding. We find out where our sites are on Friday! and then
we get to go visit them for a week on Saturday or Sunday!
The baseballl story is such an interesting one! It's so neat how it evolved into a game with different rules! It seems you did a psychology/sociology experiment on accident!
ReplyDelete